Sunday 29 April 2012

Greetings from Waikato, New Zealand



We are a family that Home Educates - so I thought FREE EDUCATION, in the vein of 'Freedom' (as in 'rights', not cost) is an important wide ranging topic to blog about.

Freedom is highly valued in our family, and so many of the links and articles I will link to highlight Freedom (or lack of).  We want to share, celebrate, protect and promote freedom in our lives right now. 


We also prefer 'little to no-cost' for our activities.   If money is spent, then  mostly it is spent on tutors or club costs. 
Apart from necessary materials, most of our education 'costs' are very low, because we make the most of resources freely available, and often receive generous gifts from talented mentors.  The most valuable gift, being TIME.


This blog will offer information, links to inspirational Educators as well as being a repository of relevant resources.
I will list some of the best online resources I have used, or intend to use.
As well as some of the ideas that have helped me and others "teach their own".  
I'll include some tips for families preparing their "Application for Exemption from Registered School".
Lots of what I will include will be 'borrowed' and I will attempt to credit people, please nudge me if I miss it.
We are considered 'Unschoolers' by others (including MoE), which is ok, but I prefer to say our family "Educates at Home".  People often ask what curriculum material or courses we use, I tell them that we create our own.
I used to say Free-range Education - until we started keeping chooks.

And in case you're wondering about the kids - they are thriving and are hugely delightful and very happy in their lives.  I am a fortunate parent who gets to facilitate and share their lives and learning.  These vibrant young people are  sharp-witted and creative, and I strive to keep them resourced and energised.  
 I am so grateful they are not being squeezed through the dulling machine that I see grinding away at the spark and zest of other children.

back soon
Squid



No comments:

Post a Comment